There's no shortage of opportunities to celebrate the heart of summer and the holiday of our nation in Brookfield and Elm Grove.
City of Brookfield
- The Sharon Lynne Wilson Center, 19805 W. Capitol Drive, is getting off to an early start for 4th of July celebrations with a free outdoor concert. The Wisconsin Philharmonic will perform at 6:30 p.m. Friday, June 30, but arrive early if possible to take in the patriotism; starting at 5 p.m. veterans and their families will be invited on an honor walk around Mitchell Park.
- Before the big bash itself, the Brookfield Public Library, 1900 N. Calhoun Road, will host an event for those wishing to decorate their bikes for the parade. Decorating is open to all ages from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. July 3. Cyclists are also encouraged to bring their helmets for a professional fitting.
- Get your lawn chairs out and get ready for a tradition as American as apple pie: The city of Brookfield's annual 4th of July Parade kicks off at 10 a.m. Tuesday, July 4. The parade will start at Brookfield Central High School, 16900 Gebhardt Road, and will proceed west to North Calhoun Road before turning north, turning west on West North Avenue and then south on Norhardt Drive. After the parade, the city will host an ice cream social in the Civic Plaza, 2000 N. Calhoun Road, featuring a flag raising ceremony and other entertainment.
- Celebrate with those who have helped to protect our freedom at American Legion Post 449, 3245 N. 124th Street. The Cudworth-Stenz-Griesell-Smith post will host its annual 4th of July party including live music by The Ricochettes as well as food and refreshments at 1 p.m.
- Close out another Independence Day with another American tradition. The city will host Family Fest in Mitchell Park starting at 6 p.m. The event will feature family-oriented games, huge bouncing inflatables, free face painting, stilt walkers, a variety of food, and entertainment. Live entertainment will include live music, a juggling show and a magic show. The night will culminate with fireworks at approximately 9:17 p.m.
Town of Brookfield
Another year means another parade and party full of fun for all ages in the town. The parade is set to begin at 9 a.m. but those wishing to participate are encouraged to arrive by 8:45 a.m. to get lined up. The parade will start from Elmbrook Church, 777 S. Barker Road, and go east on Davidson Road before turning south on Linden Lane and eventually ending in Marx Park. But that's not the end of festivities. Marx Park will then host a variety of fun activities including Marshmallow Golf, a pie-eating contest, games for all ages and food and refreshments.
Village of Elm Grove
Independence Day is an all-day affair in Elm Grove. The village will once again host Family Fun Fest in Village Park, 13600 Juneau Blvd. with a lineup of fun activities scheduled throughout the entire day. The day will kick off with a Fun Run at 9 a.m. Other activities include, but are not limited to, a bike decorating contest at 11:30 a.m., a flag-raising ceremony at noon, a series of games and races throughout the afternoon and pony rides from 2 to 4 p.m. The day's festivities will culminate with fireworks at 9:30 p.m.